Thursday, February 28, 2008

1000 Reasons To Care

Then what is this blog? Simply put, it is an oasis in the desert of information surrounding a major project that will change the lives of all those in San Diego County. The people reading this blog will be able to understand the stadium project on a new level that will make them educated and ready when someone turns and asks: “What’s the deal with that stadium? Is it happening or not?”

1000 hits later, I think the dream is forming into reality.


I thought I'd be here someday - not five weeks into it, but someday. To see people come here and be interested in the future makes me beam with pleasure. I'm psyched about this. This time in San Diego history is so important, and to see people thirsting for knowledge about it - that's the goal. That universal goal of caring ... that's got more power than any man-made item. I now have 1000 extra reasons to care, and a group of readers to care about.

A man asked me the other day if my website was a place to "rally up the troops" to keep the Chargers here. I told him as politely as I could that it wasn't. I hope it isn't, or else I'd be turning my back on the journalistic integrity I'm supposed to be standing for. Keeping my eye on the public affairs surrounding this is the task at hand, not propping up an agenda. And that is what you will get more of.

Consider this post a big "thank you" to those who have come here. Some have stopped by once, others make it here every day. You are all appreciated.


I'll end with this - one of my favorite columnists, Bill Simmons, devoted his latest column to reader reaction about the Seattle situation I wrote about. Reading the passion of the letters that came from Sonics fans stirred me. They have these deep convictions about their situation that resonate so powerfully. The take-home point for someone in San Diego, however, is that they could see this coming. They have a rocky past with things like this, the same past as ours. They struggled through two stadium projects, both taking major amounts of time, dedication and negotiation. And even now, in the time of dark, they still stand at attention. They are the example of keeping a watchful eye, understanding and leaving no stone unturned. They will not watch the scene, they will become actors in it.

And that's what we all need to be - a player in the action.


We all have a reason to care.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lets hope Bill never writes a "Save the Chargers" mailbag!

web analytics hit counter